Savory Herb and Ricotta Scones Recipe
Although Marg would like to take credit for this one, it actually came from Sheila Thigpen’s website, a great place for yummy food.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¾ tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter
- ½ cup green onions or scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- ⅔ cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 teaspoon water (for egg wash)
- sea salt
- black pepper
- smoked paprika
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Grate butter into the flour mixture and stir with a fork until the consistency of coarse meal.
- Stir in scallions and fresh herbs. Add ricotta cheese, then add milk and stir until just combined.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead 2 to 3 times, then pat dough into a 9-inch rectangle. Dip knife into flour and cut dough into 12 equal pieces.
- Transfer scones to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush tops liberally with egg wash. Sprinkle tops with sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, and smoked paprika.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until scones are golden brown.